Onwards

We saw the oncologist for a followup this past week. Since suppressing estrogen with Letrozole increases risk of osteoporosis, I am going to start treatment with zoledronic acid this coming Thursday.

The drug slows down bone loss. I'll be getting it by IV for 15 minutes every 6 months for 3 years. The doctor said that of the available types of bisphosphonate drugs, this one is the best option when you have the resources and staff available to administer the IV.

The most common side effect is flu-like symptoms (aches and pains) for the day or so after treatment. The doctor said taking acetaminophen and cetirizine helps to ease the pain. I will also need to make sure I get enough calcium and vitamin D daily. Continuing to exercise and do strength training to maintain bone density is also recommended.

My current oncologist asked if she could give me a hug since my assigned oncologist will return from maternity leave in February. I was glad to get the hug, and I'll miss her.

I did my first full-time week at work last week. I do feel more tired at the end of the day than I used to and I consistently feel stiff when I get up from sitting for a long period of time, but it's been ok overall. I'm mostly helping my team with work they are swamped with and won't be starting on any significant projects until the new year.

The Pink Studio fall recital was on November 23 with the theme "A Year in the Life". I signed up for a jazz class that did 2 numbers: the opening number for New Year's Day and a number for the first day of summer. November 24 was the anniversary of my lumpectomy. And instead of being down about that, I got to have a fun experience that weekend to celebrate returning to dance regularly. My partner, my pole dance bestie, and other supporters were in the audience cheering on all the performers.


Going forward, the monitoring plan is a mammogram annually and a physical exam every 6 months.

This is my last post for you all. At some point, I will likely archive the blog so that it's no longer publicly available.

Thank you to everyone for checking in, offering help, following along with this blog, and providing moral support from near and far. Best wishes for the holidays and the new year.